3 Advantages of Electronic Medical Records
Technology helps to advance so many industries and fields by adding layers of security, quality controls, and productivity to an organization. In this case, it is working wonders on the release of information industry that serves the medical industry and related healthcare fields. This article provides an outline of some of the key advantages of electronic medical records (EMRs).
The Value of Going Electronic
Listed here are three advantages of electronic medical records that illustrate a significant return on investment:
- Minimize Mistakes: Taking human involvement out of the bulk of the process reduces the risk of many mistakes, such as those related to duplication, wrong file selection, and security breaches. Passwords, firewalls, and security encryption devices all reduce these types of mistakes while an automated tracking and feedback mechanism keeps an electronic file high on quality. All of these benefits also help a medical organization remain compliant with HIPAA regulations by minimizing risk exposure through costly errors.
- Provide Cost-Effective Records Management: This system efficiently stores, distributes, and retrieves patient records by automating the process, thereby reducing human labor time and even the need for more staff as records requests ramp up to a higher volume. Indirect costs can also be saved in terms of those associated with hiring and training.
- Increase Productivity: An automated system does not require a heavy human touch and means that staff can focus on the core business. While they spend time on customer care and other important aspects of the company, high volumes of medical records requests are handled by just a few staff that oversees a powerful electronic system. Electronic systems can also speed medical records requests through special features that index and locate scanned files quickly, sending them on their way faster than a traditional scanning method.
These and other advantages associated with electronic medical records can be accessed as part of a cost-effective outsourcing strategy developed with the assistance of an outsource partner whose expertise, staff skills, and technological resources are committed to the medical industry.
Summarizing the Advantages of Electronic Medical Records
There are a number of reasons why it is advantageous to make the switch from paper medical records and archaic copying and faxing to electronic medical records. Here is a summary of the benefits:
- Human involvement is reduced, which means that there is less likely to be human errors that can lead to greater liability.
- As a more efficient system, costs can be lowered in terms of labor, training, and duplicated tasks. With fewer mistakes being made, costs associated with risk and liabilities are also decreased.
- Anytime anything is automated, the chances of productivity incrementally increasing are greater. Same with electronic medical records. More medical records can be indexed, sent, tracked and updated in less time.
Fig Gungor is CEO of OneSource Document Management, a New York based company that offers a broad range of customized copy and scanning services that translate into a significant savings for insurance companies, hospitals and large medical facilities.